Wednesday, May 28, 2014

it's all greek to jee

Photo by Jee Young Han. She didn't even Instagram it. Yet.

I love avgolemono. I believe in Nia Vardalos. And I pronounce "hummus" with a hard chet.

After staring at my fridge for some culinary inspiration, it dawned on me that I've never tried cooking anything Greek. And no, peeling back the plastic wrap from the Sabra hummus container doesn't count as cooking. 

I threw three frozen chicken breasts in the microwave to defrost, grabbed my mixing bowl, and got creative for lunch.

"It's-All-Greek-To-Jee" Chicken

Serves: Probably 3, but I ate all of it.

Ingredients:
-3 chicken breasts, fresh or defrosted (who gives a shit)

Marinade:
-1 cup of Greek yogurt (I used Fage 0%)
-1/2 lemon (My garden has a lemon tree bearing some chubby babies so you're welcome to use one small lemon. 1/2 was more than enough for this batch.)
-2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
-6 garlic cloves, minced
-1/2 cup mint leaves (I have a mint plant and actually just eyeballed a handful)
-1 tsp. oregano
-1 tsp. parsley
-1 tsp. dill weed
-1 tsp. salt
-1 tsp. cracked pepper

Instructions:
-Throw all the marinade ingredients into a big bowl.
-Squeeze the lemon juice over the marinade, zest the skin, and throw the lemon back in. (When life gives you lemons, DON'T FORGET TO ZEST!)
-Dice chicken into 3/4" cubes, add to marinade
-Mix that shit.
-Throw all the ingredients in a plastic bag. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
-Bake for 50 minutes at 375 degrees and OPA!


Side Salad Recommendation (It was pretty bomb):
-1/2 cup spinach
-1/2 cup arugula
-1/2 avocado, diced
-2 tbsp. dressing of choice (I'm a big fan of Fresh and Easy's Lemon-Dill Vinaigrette)
-black truffle salt*, to taste
Instructions: Mix it. Do I really need to tell you how to make a salad?
*I am really passionate about black truffle salt. I sprinkle it on everything. Black truffle salt makes everything better. I sprinkle it on salads, pasta... hell, I even sprinkle it on my ear before I make out with a guy. 

ENJOY!

xoxo,
Jee.




No comments:

Post a Comment